CALL FOR APPLICATIONS (Open Tender)
REVIEW OF TIMOR-LESTE’S LEGISLATIVE FRAMEWORK FOR IEPA ACCESSION
Timor Leste officially notified the European Union (EU) of its intention to accede to the EU Pacific EPA (IEPA) in 2020. Since then, the EU, through the PIF-SPIRIT project, has provided technical support to Timor-Leste in its accession process towards IEPA. In 2022, SPIRIT completed its first project activity, which was conducted from August to November on a Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA) and review of Timor-Leste’s Market Access Offer (MAO) towards this end.
The Government of Timor Leste informed the PIF on 5 May 2023 of its three national priorities for technical assistance to be implemented under the SPIRIT project, which cover the review and strengthening of institutional, human resources, and legislative frameworks to ensure that these are fit for purpose when they accede, and ultimately sign and ratify the IEPA.
The purpose of the short-term consultancy is as follows:
- Review of Timor-Leste’s legislative framework as part of its national readiness processes towards IEPA accession, which was identified as one of the three national priorities for 2023.
Scope of Work
The Consultant will deliver the following Key Result Areas (KRAs):
- Participate in Inception Meeting. Disaggregated details on the activities and timelines to be covered for KRA3 to KRA7, per Action Plan in the contract.
- Prepare and submit an Inception Report of a maximum of 7-pages within four business days after the inception meeting including disaggregated details on each Key Activity, Key Result Area, and associated timelines.
- Conduct a gap analysis on the state-of-play of Timor Leste’s legal framework vis-à-vis the additional laws/regulations that are needed to facilitate accession to the IEPA. Provide detailed recommendations on areas needing review and amendments to be incorporated.
- Consult with national stakeholders in Dili and provide a draft design of the institutional structures and arrangements that clarify the appropriate roles, responsibilities, staffing needs, funding sources, and legal, statutory, or licensing requirements of the identified key institutions to effectively implement the IEPA.
- Based on KRA4, assist the focal ministry with the development of a Cabinet Paper or equivalent, seeking policy approval for the proposed development or amendment of laws/regulations that will facilitate Timor Leste’s accession to the IEPA.
- Deliver a presentation to the Government of Timor Leste on the findings and recommendations.
- Submit a Draft Report to the Government of Timor Leste, through the PIF, and thereafter, after their reviews, submit a Final Report outlining the key deliverables, key findings, risk analysis and recommendations on way forward.
The Consultant must be an Expert in International Trade and Development, and should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Master or Postgraduate degree in trade law, Law International trade, public policy or any other field relevant to the assignment;
- Extensive experience in conducting stakeholder consultations of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication, and report writing skills;
- Excellent team working abilities;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant post-graduate professional experience in issues related to trade and law;
- Excellent command of English and Portuguese, both oral and written;
- Proficient of Microsoft Office such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Experience working with governments, international organizations or NGOs is highly desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
|Deadline for Submissions:
4pm (Fiji Time) Wednesday 9 August 2023.
Late or incomplete tenders will not be considered.
Any complaints regarding the Secretariat’s tender must be directed to the following email: Tender.Complaints@forumsec.org. This email address will forward your complaint to a person that is independent and removed from the tender process. Complaints must be well founded and should not be used as a mechanism for notifying displeasure with the outcome of a tender award. Further information on making a complaint can be found on the Policies & Information page at http://tenders.forumsec.org.
In the event that further information is required by the Secretariat in relation to the tender for consultancy, the Secretariat reserves the right to seek the required information without the need for calling for resubmission of proposals.